Call for Papers (Second Asia‐Pacific Innovation Conference) – New Deadline
The Conference Organizers are pleased to advise that the deadline for submission of abstracts has been extended to November 30 2010, owing to numerous requests. We welcome submissions for all areas, but especially those by young scholars for the WIPO sponsored session on university technology transfer. The best three submissions for this sessions will be eligible to receive full travel assistance (economy class ticket (best fare available) plus a maximum of three nights accommodation in Tokyo).
Hitotsubashi University is pleased to host the Second Asia‐Pacific Innovation Conference, in collaboration with a consortium of universities and other academic institutions, the RIETI (the Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry) and WIPO (the World Intellectual Property Organization). The conference will bring together scholars, including doctoral students, working on the economics, management and law of innovation.
It will foster an inter‐disciplinary exchange of knowledge. Sessions will include contributed papers, keynote presentations and panel discussions. Please forward this information to any interested colleagues, friends, and doctoral students. We welcome contributions from across the world.
- Conference dates: March 28th (Monday) and 29th (Tuesday) in 2011
- Venue: National Center of Science Building, Tokyo, Japan. http://www.nii.ac.jp/en/access/
- Submission Deadline: 31st October 2010
- The conference will be held in English
Keynote and panel speakers
- Professor Steven Klepper, Carnegie Mellon University
- Professor Nancy Gallini, University of British Columbia
- Professor Dietmar Harhoff, University of Munich
- Professor Luis Cabral, IESE Business School
- Professor Bronwyn Hall, UC Berkeley and University of Maastricht
- Professor Carsten Fink, Chief Economist of the WIPO
- Dr. Stuart Graham, Chief Economist of the USPTO
And more to be announced …
The session topics will cover (but are not limited to ) (1) entrepreneurship and startups, (2) innovation and industry evolution, (3) management of technology, (4) intellectual property protection for innovation, (5) standards, alliance and consortia, (6) research and innovation funding, and (7) university research and university industry collaborations.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the local organizing committee (2APIC@iir.hit-u.ac.jp) :
- Sadao Nagaoka, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University
- Reiko Aoki, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University
To stay updated on latest developments, subscribe to our email list at http://ap‐in.org/ (click “Sign me up!”)
- We invite interested authors to submit their papers or extended abstracts until 30th November 2010. You can submit your paper online via our Submission website.
- Please indicate the name of the presenter and his/her contact details (affiliation and email).
- You may also submit a proposal for a full session, which should include a short description of the session theme, title, 3 papers (or extended abstracts) and the name of the organizer and contact details. While we will consider accepting any theme significantly related to innovation, we prefer sessions with the presenters covering regional or global issues.
- Submissions must be in PDF format, with a maximum size of 2MB per paper. No other file formats will be considered.
- Submissions must be made in English
- The Scientific Committee for the conference will evaluate the submissions and the results will be emailed by 31st December 2010 for the papers submitted in November.
- There is going to be the WIPO sponsored session on university technology transfer. Young scholars (doctoral students or post-doctoral students) who have submitted top three papers for this session will be selected to receive full travel assistance (economy class ticket (best fare available) plus maximum three nights’ accommodation in Tokyo) from WIPO. Those who would like to apply for this support should identify their intention in the online submission form.
The registration website for the conference will open in the near future.
The expected conference fee covering conference registration, lunches, drinks, and the conference dinner will be 180 US $/person. A student whose paper has been accepted is eligible for a discounted registration fee (expected to be 80 US $/person). The registration fee is not refundable.
The first Asia Pacific Region Innovation Conference was held in Melbourne in January 2010. Given a rapidly growing number of scholars in the Asia‐Pacific region interested in innovation issues, we envisage that we will host such conferences regularly, rotating among Asia‐Pacific countries. Participating institutions include:
- The Intellectual Property Research Institute of Australia (IPRIA), University of Melbourne
- Institute of Innovation Research and Center for Intergenerational Studies (Institute of Economic Research), Hitotsubashi University, Japan
- Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan
- NUS Business School, National University of Singapore
- IP Academy, Singapore
- University of Auckland Business School
- New Zealand Centre of International Economic Law (NZCIEL)
- College of Social Sciences, National Taiwan University
- Seoul National University
- Center for Economic Catch‐up, Korea
- School of Management, Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Science
- Intellectual Property Law Center, Drake University Law School
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
To learn more, visit the Asia Pacific Innovation Network website at http://ap‐in.org
Thank you for your query regarding the conference. The Call for Papers document available at http://ap-in.org/call-for-papers-new-deadline/ summarises the submission requirements and lists the general categories for inclusion at the conference. It also includes more general information about registration fees and the host city. Submissions should be lodged via the submission website at http://survey.fbe.unimelb.edu.au/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=8242862 by Tuesday 30 November 2010 in PDF format. Only an abstract is required for submission.